Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Zenyatta Painting Auction to benefit New Vocations Racehorse Adoption

Auctioning off Zenyatta Painting...link Here

As part of the Escapist Mentorship Program we are given periodic assignments.  The assignments are designed to push us to do things we normally might not be comfortable doing.  A recent assignment was to chose one of John Ross Palmer's works and use it as inspiration for our own work, and then to sell it before the next group meeting (May 4th).  The painting part of the assignment wasn't scary, as an Equestrian painter myself I was drawn to Johns Equestrian work already, but I had no idea what to do about ensuring the painting was marketed and sold in such a short period of time.

And the I realized I could do so much more than just painting and selling something...I could help a charity that means a great deal to me while also getting exposure for my work in new markets.  You see, my late horse Bradley, was an Off The Track Thoroughbred (OTTB)....he raced about 60 times until he turned 6 and then was retrained to be a Show Horse.  I bought him (well my parents bought most of him) when he was 8 and he was with me for over 20 years.  Obviously he was an essential part of my life.  Here's his picture, at about 14 years old at the Steinkraus Barn:

So by auctioning off the painting to benefit New Vocations I figured I could do something in memory of Bradley while helping future Bradley's.

Two other points.  First: I'd been curious about the idea of using eBay to sell art work...so this would give me an opportunity to try it out, and Secondly, by selling the painting for a charity I felt I could reach out to many horse groups to market the painting and hopefully raise awareness for New Vocations at the same time.

So all in all a great all around outcome for this project.

If you are interested in bidding on the painting click here...the auction ends on April 28th at 10:00pm EST.

No comments: