Monday, July 29, 2013

The Landscape and Home


A Large Danish Seascape that hung in our Living Room

My Mom was born and raised in Denmark.  She is still a Danish citizen.  Growing up I always had a keen sense of what it was like to live in one place and yet always have a piece of your heart somewhere else.  In part, to ameliorate some of the homesickness, my Mother filled our home with Danish things, Mid-century teak furniture, Royal Copenhagen China and landscapes from Denmark.

A Small Painting of Copenhagen with the Canals and Vor Frelser Kirke

These paintings were really my first art education.  The first paintings I was ever aware of.  The first paintings I would stare at for hours, fascinated by the color and texture, and the idea that someone could actually make something so magical and trainsporting.  Their presence in our house and in my childhood has certainly influenced my attraction to the idea of the landscape and the importance of place.

A Large Painting of a Danish Fishing Village

Everyone has places on this earth that mean something to them.  The woodlands of their childhood, the cities of their youth, the quiet place they go when they need to think.

What's you place?

"Danish Landscape."
My first landscape in Oils.  Done as a Christmas Gift for my mother.

1 comment:

Sue Donaldson said...

Your blog is cool. Reading about your history and how it formed your choice of subject is fascinating. Thanks for sharing your mother's beautiful paintings and especially your first oil.