Friday, May 15, 2015

Mona and Klaus

One of the many unexpected delights of my trip to Umbria and stay in Porchiano Del Monte was getting to meet Mona and Klaus.  When I arrived in Porchiano, Caridad told me we were having dinner with her friends and neighbors.  It turns out they were Danish (as is my mother) and so we totally hit it off.  They run a B&B in Porchiano (Click here for their face book page) and judging by the hospitality they showed me (not even a guest) I can imagine what a treat it would be to stay there. They have an outstanding view over the rooftops and the valley and Mona and Klaus are both excellent cooks.  They grow a large amount of their own food and I was even honored to try there home grown meet (they raised their own pig last year and we had bacon and a type of salami from him).  Plus they are the absolute nicest people (I even liked their cats).

Everyone should be lucky enough to get out of the big cities and tourist attractions of Italy and spend some time living the Italian life like I did in Porchiano.


Klaus, Mona and Caridad on the balcony, First night there.


In danish we would call this a Rullepolse, I have no idea how you would call it in English.  The raised the pig and made it themselves.  When I say it was one of the best things I have ever tasted I am not exaggerating! 

Homemade rugbrod (Danish pumpernickel), homemade rullepolse, homemade Aegekage including home grown eggs and bacon.

The view from the terrace overlooking Umbria and the roofs of Porchiano.

No comments: