Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Working with Galleries and Stores

I have had a fantastic time showing my work at Kirby and Conpany for the past few months.  It has been a real honor and a pleasure to work with such a beautiful store and wonderful people.

As my show comes to a close I have become aware that some people thought that it might be better to wait until after the show to purchase artwork so that I wouldn't have to split the sale with the store.  So I'd like to talk a little about my thoughts on the subject.

I'd rather represent myself than show with just any gallery or showroom.  So when I do decide to show in a bricks and mortar location I really choose carefully and only show in places that I really believe in, points I consider are:

Personal Chemistry
Synergy
Good percentages
Shared Vision
Exposure to new markets for my work

It's important that I have good sales when I show in these venues so that the next time I approach a place I want to work with I can point to past successes.

It's also important that these venues get compensated for the work they put into promoting my work and for the wall space I occupy in their locations that could contain other stuff.

I will continue to look for great partners as I go forward and I will also continue to promote and sell my work on my own.

As always, I am profoundly thankful for all who support my work, from sharing my work and events on social media to purchasing my paintings.



No comments: